Thursday, January 16, 2020

Bonjour

Hello everyone, I am Doritos Man. How did I end up here, you may ask? Well, let me tell you a story...

Earlier last year, I realised that YouTube was about to delete all of their annotations. That would mean that many videos would loose important information and other videos would loose their interactivity.

After making efforts to make people archive as many annotations as possible with the help of screen recorders, a YouTube user contacted me.

Eventually I found myself on a Discord server with people dedicated to archiving annotations before the deadline (the right way, by saving the annotation codes rather than simply recording the screen).

This experience taught me the importance of archiving. Without it, some (possibly important) information could be lost forever. And this is why I am here today. I am here to help in the process of archiving content to avoid losing any data that we might regret not having in the future.

Also seeing the decline of Adobe Flash player is also very sad to me. I, like many of you, grew up playing Flash games on sites. Luckily many teams of archivists are already working on saving as many games before it's too late. Without them, where would the Flash games be after the Flash websites remove the games due to incompatibility? Memories would be lost. Games would never be played again. Also kudos to Newgrounds for creating the Newgrounds player, which would give the user the ability to play Flash content again on their platform!

That's it for now. I am not the best at writing; I hope my introduction wasn't too bad.

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment